I'm gathering information about quilt retreats in these Midwestern states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin. Listings I have found are shown below, but watch this site for more to come!
Do you know of a great retreat center or event for quilters? Recommend a retreat.
And take a few minutes to explore all of the pages on this site, where you'll find:
- Fun ideas for retreats, such as activities, games, local tours, and, of course, treats!
- Cute, clever quilter T-shirts, tote bags, and other gifts for yourself and your quilting friends--including real men who quilt!
- Recommended quilting books with great retreat projects.
- A place to share your ideas and tips for creating a terrific retreat experience.
Thanks for visiting this guide and Happy Quilting!
Quilters Retreats by State
- Danville: Threads and Beds Retreat. A specially designed retreat center for large groups or smaller groups want to share space. Large work rooms designed for quilting; limited cooking facilities. Connected to a large fabric store. Maximum 36 guests.
- Orangeville: Memory Lane Crafting Retreat. Farmhouse converted to a center for weekend group retreats. Includes fully equipped kitchen and workroom that overlooks a pond in a country setting. Maximum 9 guests.
- Tonica: Kishauwau on the Vermillion. Renovated luxury cabin in a former scouting camp for group retreats. Large great room with work tables, full kitchen, near four state parks. Maximum 14 guests.
- Fortville: Creative Hideaway. A retreat facility for groups with a large work room and meals included. WiFi Internet access and optional spa services also available. Maximum 13 guests.
- Lafayette: Miss Mary's Quilting Cottage. Historic home available for group retreats, located next door to a quilt shop. The home includes a full kitchen. Minimum 4 guests, maximum 8 guests.
- Lafayette: Cheryl's Quilt Shop. A group retreat facility in a quilt shop, available for overnight or day use by 2-5 guests. Includes a refrigerator and microwave; nearby restaurants. Also sponsors weekend retreat events at the Pine View Resort in Monticello, Indiana.
- Nappanee: Victorian Guest House. Historic bed and breakfast in Amish country available for group retreats. Quilt shop located in the building. Minimum 6/maximum 12 guests.
- Nashville: Waycross. A conference center and camp with a country setting, operated by the Episcopal Church. Offers multiple options for lodging, meeting space, and meals. Serves community and nonprofit groups.
- Quincy: The Retreat Campus. Private, Christian-focused residence in a country setting that has been converted for small group retreats. Grounds include a pond and cabins; fully equipped kitchens.
- Westville: Inspiration Wood Cottage Inn and Retreat. Large retreat center with accommodations in large rooms, cabins, and cottages; some with kitchens. Catering available for the work room. Property includes walking trails and gardens.
Dreaming about starting your own quilt business?
Check out these recommended guides
to make money quilting.
- Bedford: Farmers Dotter Quilt Retreat. Group retreats for up to 9 people in a country home. Near a small town with several antique shops.
- Guttenberg: Sew Many Memories Retreat Center. Group retreat center in a restored historic hotel. Home-cooked meals, resource library and on-site supply store. Maximum 8 guests.
- Osage: The Stitchery Nook Retreat Center. A center for small-group retreats in a converted brick building located above a cross stitch store. Two work rooms; shared bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen for cooking your own meals and living room. Maximum 16 guests.
- West Des Moines: Walnut Place Retreat. Historic home converted to a center for group retreats. Three work rooms and complete kitchen for preparing your own meals. Quilting and scrapbooking stores nearby. Maximum 12 overnight or 18 day guests.
- McPherson: Maple Memories. A 1905 House with a kitchen to prepare your own meals, dining room, exercise/massage room and several work spaces. Also offers a message board for individuals and groups to connect. One block from historic downtown. Maximum 12 guests
- Caseville: The Lodge at Oak Pointe. Al large B&B with two common areas for groups of 10-16 sewers. The lodge features walking trails, whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, and screened porches for relaxation.
- Hillman: Thunder Bay Resort. Retreat events with nationally-known quilting teachers. Resort accommodations and events such as a gourmet dinner and wine tasting.
- Becker: Cameorose Country Retreat. A private home turned retreat center, set on 55 acres with a dedicated craft room, gardens, an outdoor pool, fireplace, game room, and full kitchen. Maximum 8-12 guests.
- Blue Earth: Countryside Cottage. Private home primarily for small group retreats, but some weekends open for individual registration. Country setting, full kitchen, hot tub, and work room with WiFi, equipment access, and small supply store. Maximum 9 guests.
- Cloquet: Gingerbread House Craft Retreat. Farmhouse converted to a group retreat center. Workroom includes two design boards & scrapbooking equipment. Full kitchen; near quilt and antique shops. Maximum 8 guests.
- Farwell: Elm Creek Lodge. Log home style retreat center, located on a creek and with a view of woodlands and a lake. Full kitchen, workroom, and near a fabric/craft store. Minimum 4, maximum 10 guests.
- Garden City: Red Barn Retreats. Barn-style retreat center in a rural setting. Large workspace, full kitchen, and access to a long-arm quilting machine. Maximum 10 guests.
- Lake City: Dragonfly Dreams Retreat Center. Victorian-style home converted to a small group retreat center. Full kitchen and laundry; family room with fireplace; craft room; nearby shops. Minimum 4, maximum 8 guests.
- Richmond: Simply Sisters Retreat Center. Historic brick-home convent now a center for group retreats. Workroom and fully equipped kitchen or catering available. Small-town setting with recreation and shopping nearby. Maximum 12 guests.
- Arrow Rock: Arrow Rock Quilt Camp. Multi-day learning event open for individual registration. Held in an historic village, with classroom open extended hours for individual work. Fees include classes and meals; separate lodging in a local B&B or campground.
- Beaufort: St. Louis Star Inn.Private home on wooded acreage converted to a center for group retreats. Owned by an award-winning quilter, teacher, and designer. Includes home-cooked meals; private workshops and project help available for an additional fee. Maximum 6 guests.
- Rogersville: Blackberry Creek Retreat B&B. Specially constructed bed and breakfast with dedicated space for small group retreats. Also offers retreat weekends open for individual registration. Located on 40 acre homestead; includes some meals. Minimum 10, maximum 14 guests.
Looking for quick, easy projects for your retreat?
Check out these quilt retreat ideas.
- Ashland: Carol Joy Holling Center. A Lutheran-affiliated facility that sponsors multi-day retreat events throughout the year.
- Fremont: Calvin Crest Camp, Conference and Retreat Center. A large, Christian-oriented center with a variety of facilities for groups up to 300. Includes meals in a full-service dining hall and many recreation opportunities on the center's 250 acres overlooking the Platte River.
- Maxwell: Maranatha Quilter's Weekend. Weekend retreat events, open for individual registration, held at Maranatha Bible Camp. Motel-style or dorm-style housing; meals included. Focus on individual projects.
- Newark: Newkirk Guest House. Refurbished, pre-Civil War era home for small group retreats. Large sewing area, full kitchen with continental breakfast provided. Maximum 8 guests.
- Somerset: Zane Trace Inn and Craft Farm. Two residential facilities, one in town and one in the country, with extensive amenities for group retreats. Meals available as an option. Maximum 9-12 guests.
- Barnsdall: Red Barn Quilting Education and Retreat Center. Custom-designed group retreat center with on-site quilt shop and lumbar machines available for rental use. Dorm-style lodging, full kitchen, laundry, full meal service, optional classes. Maximum 9 guests.
- Canton: Canton Quilt Corner. A facility for group retreats located above a quilt shop in an historic red granite building. Full kitchen and workroom furnishings. Maximum 15 guests for overnight or day retreats.
- Galveston: Galveston's Red Victorian. Group retreats in a restored 1867 home near the beach. Weekend bookings included all meals. Minimum 8, maximum 12 guests.
- Galveston: Applique Away. Weekend retreat event focused on applique classes; open for individual registration. Held in an historic hotel near the attractions of Galveston Island. Includes lodging, some meals, classes & special events.
- Amery: Twin Maples Retreat. Private home converted to a center for small-group retreats. Includes a work studio, fully equipped kitchen, Internet access, indoor and outdoor fireplaces. Minimum 4, maximum 8 guests.
- Augusta: Bridge Creek Cottage. Homestyle retreat center for large groups. Full kitchen or catering available; large craft room; decks and living room spaces. In Amish country with nearby shops. Maximum 20 guests.
- Colfax: Meadow Ridge Cottages. Two newly constructed cottages for small group retreats with large craft room, full kitchen, and laundry. Catering available; quilting and crafting stores nearby. Minimum 6, maximum 12 guests.
- DeSoto: A Place to Sew. Two group retreat houses with Mississippi River views from large porches. Also available for stitching and scrapbooking groups. Near quilt and crafts stores in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota.
- Fontana: Heritage House. Apartment-style accommodations with the workroom for group retreats. Each apartment has its own kitchen, living room, fireplace, deck. Maximum 18 guests.
- Fountain City: HNL Farms. Two retreat houses on a large farm for retreats by quilting and scrapbooking groups. Fully stocked kitchen for cooking your own meals; WiFi and 24-hour work rooms. Maximum 18 guests.
- Mount Horeb: Magnolia Ridge Hideaway. private residence converted to a retreat center in a country setting. Large workroom, great room, and kitchen. Minimum 6/maximum 24 guests.
- Osseo: Camp Cotton Quilting Retreat. A commercial building renovated as a retreat center; offers group retreats and weekend retreats open for individual registration. Very large sewing room, WiFi, fully equipped kitchen, nearby restaurants. Maximum 18 guests.
- Reedsburg: A Great Place to Be. Large Victorian home renovated as a small-group retreat center. Kitchen, laundry, sitting room and wraparound porch. Restaurants and shops. Minimum 3, maximum 10 guests.
- St. Croix Falls: Lamb's Inn & Ewe Come Inn. Two spaces for group retreats, located above a quilt shop. Full kitchen and workroom; shared bedroom and bath. Minimum 3-5 guests, maximum 6-8 guests.
- Verona: Two Chatelaines Farm. Farmhouse on a working farm that has been converted to a group retreat center. Walking trails on the property; work room, laundry, and kitchen for light cooking. Maximum 8 guests.
Looking for solid advice on opening a quilt shop?
Check out these helpful quilt shop business guides.