I'm gathering information about quilt retreats in these Midwestern states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin. Listings I have found are shown below, but watch this site for more to come!
Do you know of a great retreat center or event for quilters? Recommend a retreat.
And take a few minutes to explore all of the pages on this site, where you'll find:
- Fun ideas for retreats, such as activities, games, local tours, and, of course, treats!
- Cute, clever quilter T-shirts, tote bags, and other gifts for yourself and your quilting friends--including real men who quilt!
- Recommended quilting books with great retreat projects.
- A place to share your ideas and tips for creating a terrific retreat experience.
Thanks for visiting this guide and Happy Quilting!
Quilters Retreats by State
- Danville: Threads and Beds Retreat. A specially designed retreat center for large groups or smaller groups want to share space. Large work rooms designed for quilting; limited cooking facilities. Connected to a large fabric store. Maximum 36 guests.
- Orangeville: Memory Lane Crafting Retreat. Farmhouse converted to a center for weekend group retreats. Includes fully equipped kitchen and workroom that overlooks a pond in a country setting. Maximum 9 guests.
- Tonica: Kishauwau on the Vermillion. Renovated luxury cabin in a former scouting camp for group retreats. Large great room with work tables, full kitchen, near four state parks. Maximum 14 guests.
- Nappanee: Victorian Guest House. Historic bed and breakfast in Amish country available for group retreats. Quilt shop located in the building. Minimum 6/maximum 12 guests.
- Nashville: Waycross. A conference center and camp with a country setting, operated by the Episcopal Church. Offers multiple options for lodging, meeting space, and meals. Serves community and nonprofit groups.
- Quincy: The Retreat Campus. Private, Christian-focused residence in a country setting that has been converted for small group retreats. Grounds include a pond and cabins; fully equipped kitchens.
- Westville: Inspiration Wood Cottage Inn and Retreat. Large retreat center with accommodations in large rooms, cabins, and cottages; some with kitchens. Catering available for the work room. Property includes walking trails and gardens.
Dreaming about starting your own quilt business?
Check out these recommended resources
to make money quilting.
- Guttenberg: Sew Many Memories Retreat Center. Group retreat center in a restored historic hotel. Home-cooked meals, resource library and on-site supply store. Maximum 8 guests.
- Milford: Lakeshore Center at Okoboji. A Presbyterian-affiliated retreat center that offers weekend retreat events open for individual registration and accommodating all types of crafts. Lodging and hotel-style guestrooms or bunk rooms; includes all meals. Lakeside location.
- Osage: The Stitchery Nook Retreat Center. A center for small-group retreats in a converted brick building located above a cross stitch store. Two work rooms; shared bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen for cooking your own meals and living room. Maximum 16 guests.
- McPherson: Maple Memories. A 1905 House with a kitchen to prepare your own meals, dining room, exercise/massage room and several work spaces. Also offers a message board for individuals and groups to connect. One block from historic downtown. Maximum 12 guests
- Caseville: The Lodge at Oak Pointe. Al large B&B with two common areas for groups of 10-16 sewers. The lodge features walking trails, whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, and screened porches for relaxation.
- Becker: Cameorose Country Retreat. A private home turned retreat center, set on 55 acres with a dedicated craft room, gardens, an outdoor pool, fireplace, game room, and full kitchen. Maximum 8-12 guests.
- Blue Earth: Countryside Cottage. Private home primarily for small group retreats, but some weekends open for individual registration. Country setting, full kitchen, hot tub, and work room with WiFi, equipment access, and small supply store. Maximum 9 guests.
- Farwell: Elm Creek Lodge. Log home style retreat center, located on a creek and with a view of woodlands and a lake. Full kitchen, workroom, and near a fabric/craft store. Minimum 4, maximum 10 guests.
- Garden City: Red Barn Retreats. Barn-style retreat center in a rural setting. Large workspace, full kitchen, and access to a long-arm quilting machine. Maximum 10 guests.
- Lake City: Dragonfly Dreams Retreat Center. Victorian-style home converted to a small group retreat center. Full kitchen and laundry; family room with fireplace; craft room; nearby shops. Minimum 4, maximum 8 guests.
- Richmond: Simply Sisters Retreat Center. Historic brick-home convent now a center for group retreats. Workroom and fully equipped kitchen or catering available. Small-town setting with recreation and shopping nearby. Maximum 12 guests.
- Winnebago: Prairie Wind B&B and Retreat Center. Residential style center for small group retreats. Workroom with kitchen and optional breakfast. Rural setting with nearby restaurants, lake, quilt stores and other shopping. Minimum 5, maximum 10 guests.
- Arrow Rock: Arrow Rock Quilt Camp. Multi-day learning event open for individual registration. Held in an historic village, with classroom open extended hours for individual work. Fees include classes and meals; separate lodging in a local B&B or campground.
- Rogersville: Blackberry Creek Retreat B&B. Specially constructed bed and breakfast with dedicated space for small group retreats. Also offers retreat weekends open for individual registration. Located on 40 acre homestead; includes some meals. Minimum 10, maximum 14 guests.
Looking for quick, easy projects for your retreat?
Check out these quilt retreat ideas.
- Ashland: Carol Joy Holling Center. A Lutheran-affiliated facility that sponsors multi-day retreat events throughout the year.
- Fremont: Calvin Crest Camp, Conference and Retreat Center. A large, Christian-oriented center with a variety of facilities for groups up to 300. Includes meals in a full-service dining hall and many recreation opportunities on the center's 250 acres overlooking the Platte River.
- Maxwell: Maranatha Quilter's Weekend. Weekend retreat events, open for individual registration, held at Maranatha Bible Camp. Motel-style or dorm-style housing; meals included. Focus on individual projects.
- Newark: Newkirk Guest House. Refurbished, pre-Civil War era home for small group retreats. Large sewing area, full kitchen with continental breakfast provided. Maximum 8 guests.
- Barnsdall: Red Barn Quilting Education and Retreat Center. Custom-designed group retreat center with on-site quilt shop and lumbar machines available for rental use. Dorm-style lodging, full kitchen, laundry, full meal service, optional classes. Maximum 9 guests.
- Edmond: Journey Quilt Company. Workspace within a quilt shop available as an hourly/daily rental for quilt retreat groups. Includes a kitchenette, work tables, ironing tables. No lodging onsite, but nearby. Maximum 12 guests.
- Ripley: Nancy's Retreat. Homelike center for small group retreats. Workroom & full kitchen; country setting; 1 mile from quilt shop. Maximum 8 guests.
- Galveston: Applique Away. Weekend retreat event focused on applique classes; open for individual registration. Held in an historic hotel near the attractions of Galveston Island. Includes lodging, some meals, classes & special events.
- Amery: Twin Maples Retreat. Private home converted to a center for small-group retreats. Includes a work studio, fully equipped kitchen, Internet access, indoor and outdoor fireplaces. Minimum 4, maximum 8 guests.
- Augusta: Bridge Creek Cottage. Homestyle retreat center for large groups. Full kitchen or catering available; large craft room; decks and living room spaces. In Amish country with nearby shops. Maximum 20 guests.
- Colfax: Meadow Ridge Cottages. Two newly constructed cottages for small group retreats with large craft room, full kitchen, and laundry. Catering available; quilting and crafting stores nearby. Minimum 6, maximum 12 guests.
- DeSoto: A Place to Sew. Two group retreat houses with Mississippi River views from large porches. Also available for stitching and scrapbooking groups. Near quilt and crafts stores in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota.
- Fontana: Heritage House. Apartment-style accommodations with the workroom for group retreats. Each apartment has its own kitchen, living room, fireplace, deck. Maximum 18 guests.
- Mount Horeb: Magnolia Ridge Hideaway. private residence converted to a retreat center in a country setting. Large workroom, great room, and kitchen. Minimum 6/maximum 24 guests.
- Reedsburg: A Great Place to Be. Large Victorian home renovated as a small-group retreat center. Kitchen, laundry, sitting room and wraparound porch. Restaurants and shops. Minimum 3, maximum 10 guests.
- Silver Cliff: Silver Cliff Retreat. Custom-built group retreat center. Includes workroom, full kitchen, deck with hot tub, natural attractions nearby. Maximum 14 guests.
- St. Croix Falls: Lamb's Inn & Ewe Come Inn. Two spaces for group retreats, located above a quilt shop. Full kitchen and workroom; shared bedroom and bath. Minimum 3-5 guests, maximum 6-8 guests.
Looking for solid advice on opening a quilt shop?
Check out these helpful quilt shop business guides.